Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DIY Costume? I need some help!


I am starting to feel stressed about Halloween.  This time last year I was almost completely done The Girl's costume.  I am not sure if it was because it her first Halloween or if it was because I was home with the girl full time and my brain was not preoccupied with work.   Who has time for a job, really?  When The Girl received this bag with brown handles on it at the time, with a baby gift in it I instantly knew how I would transform it for Halloween.  I was literally planning her Halloween costume since the day she was born.  Not this year...

While The Hubby and I were brainstorming ideas for this year he made it very clear that he was less than thrilled with my idea of making her an owl.  I thought the costume would be cute,  but it wouldn't have any significance and she might appear rather random.  As we talked we quickly came up with the idea of making her Shamu or "Mamu" as she calls it.  To say the The Girl is OBSESSED, would be an understatement.    Ever since our family trip to Sea World she has gone crazy!  We made the mistake of showing her YouTube videos of other people's trips to Sea World following our family vacation and now whenever she sees the ipad she heads straight for it and selects the YouTube app saying "Mamu...pease, Mamu".  At least she says please?

I saw this costume online, but I was less than thrilled with the $45 price tag.  The Hubby was more than happy to spend the money to be done and have a happy relaxed wife, but the DIYer in me can't rest.  I actually partially blame my mother.  She always made our costumes and I think there is this small amount of June Cleaver berried in this modern Mama.  A piece that says "a good Mom makes their baby a custom costume".

I have a bit of a game plan but I am definitely not ready to execute.  Any suggestions you might have would be more than welcome!  I am thinking about making a track suit with a pattern from one of my favourite etsy retailers.  I am not exactly sure how to alter it to make the fins.  I'll keep you posted.

Wish me luck!



No comments: